When we eat, we instigate a complex series of digestive, endocrine, and metabolic physiologic processes. Various cells, tissues, organs, and systems are involved in convert our carrots, apples, grains, and proteins into energy that helps us live satisfying lives. These complex processes don’t happen on their own, though. They require timely instructions and guidance from the nerve system to work properly and produce a coordinated conclusion.
Chiropractic care helps the nerve system do its duty as the body’s master system. Chiropractic care eliminates nerve interference that can cause essential signals to be distorted or delayed. By helping ensure that the nerve system is free of interference, chiropractic care helps us to achieve the top physiologic performance, elevate long-term health and well-being.
Different Types of Health Insurance Available
Whether you live in the United States, Canada, or Western Europe, your health care decision-making is impacted by the type of health insurance accessible to you. Americans receive a fee-for-service system that entails that you will be paying for most or all of the costs of every service that you use. Canadian patients receive health care through a publicly funded system. Costs are funded via income taxes, so in Canada, patients pay indirectly for their care. The majority of Western European countries have national health care systems in place. The French, for example, the national insurance policy pays 70% of costs and much of the remaining 30% is paid by supplemental private insurance (most of this is paid by the patient’s employer). Regardless, for every person, more health problems imply more costs. Thus, avoiding health problems in the first place is a beneficial method that will save families stress, anxiety, and financial resources for the distant future. In health maintenance it’s said that the best defense is a good offense.
What makes up a “good offense” in health care? Being proactive in terms of lifestyle choices helps you put together a health care program that works. Your health care “offense” includes a healthful diet supported by sound nutritional principles, regular vigorous exercise, getting enough rest, and regular chiropractic care. All these factors are needed to enjoy long-term health and well-being. Each element provides critical value and helps support the benefits you get from the others. Good food helps you build strong muscle in response to regular vigorous exercise. Doing regular exercise helps you sleep better at night. More sleep helps you have more energy, so you have more strength and endurance when you’re exercising. Regular chiropractic care helps your nerve system function at peak level, helping all your body systems work well together.
Your Lifestyle Program
Such a lifestyle program goes a long way toward restoring good health and reducing the costs of using the health care system. For example, regular vigorous exercise is an important part of all lifestyle programs aimed at lowering blood pressure and reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. A healthful diet and regular exercise help lower the incidence of type 2 diabetes and assist overweight and obese individuals, children as well as adults, in returning to more optimal levels of health.
There are many self-help books, DVDs, and television infomercials that target people who wish to improve their overall health situation. These programs may have some value, but professional encouragement and guidance is the key to developing long-term, successful health strategies. Your chiropractor is experienced in nutrition, exercise, and health maintenance and can help you design a “good offense” for health care that works for you and your family.
For Your Health,
Dr. Steven M. Gillis